How fab you've found me! Stay a while and look around and if you need to get in touch then click info@fionamacneill.com!

Fiona Xx


Thursday 20 September 2007

useful info for brides to be!

I have been thinking about the wedding show and all the lovely people we met over the course of the weekend and there was a very apparent pattern emerging...couples were feeling more and more overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of wedding planning. I heard the same things said time after time...'we don't know where to begin', 'can you recommend such and such?', 'the venue we wanted is booked', 'we've heard horror stories about this cake maker or stationer or photographer' and so it went on and I really began to wonder if anyone out there actually enjoys and relishes the challenge of planning a wedding in a world where there are hundreds of suppliers all wanting your business! I was lucky when I planned my own wedding, firstly, it was very small and intimate and secondly, I knew exactly where and who I wanted to use for the venue, flowers, stationery, photography etc as I had first hand experience of their work and knew I wouldn't have any worries. I have a page of recommended suppliers on my website called 'friends' and it really is a valuable source when starting out. A recommendation is worth a million glossy ads or a fancy stand at a wedding show.

However, it also got me thinking about my friend Wendy who is a wedding planner and runs a very successful company called Utopia Scotland. Wendy has helped many couples over the years plan and then have their dream wedding. She sources a handful of venues to match your requirements and once you are happy with the venue she has a shortlist of suppliers that she has worked with on numerous occasions and deemed to be 'professional, punctual and nice!'

Not only that, Wendy is the point of contact with these suppliers and does all the hard work in contacting them, paying them on your behalf and coordinating the whole day for you, while you sit back and watch it all come together. Finally, the day itself, and again I am very fortunate because I am at the wedding all day and get to see what goes on! At about 75% of the weddings I shoot, something doesn't go to plan. The flowers are the wrong shade or the wrong style, the wedding car breaks down or some other major decision has to be taken there and then. Its always the bride who is left to sort these things out and I always feel so sorry for them. While she's trying to have her hair and make up done, the mobile is ringing and turning the poor girl into a nervous wreck! So, what could be better than having Wendy there to take the calls and deal with the little hiccups leaving you to relax and enjoy the day!

If you haven't already visited Wendy's website you can do so at www.utopia-scotland.com/

Go on - it makes sense!!!

Fxxx

No comments: